Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Figgy jam

It's no secret, I love jam. I love making it and I love eating it. What's not to love about fruity goodness in a jar?


The last few weeks I've been pretty obsessed wtih fresh figs. They're soooo good. Especially warmed in the oven with a little goat cheese. Even just typing that makes my mouth water. 

So what's a jam-loving girl to do when she gets her hand on a couple pounds of fresh figs you ask? Make some fig jam of course!

 
Such a pretty fruit. And quite nutritious too - packed with lots of good fiber and potassium.


Ok, back to the jamming! I cut up a bunch of the fresh figs, added some sugar and lemon juice and let it sit...


...until it turned into this figgy mess:


Then it was ready for boiling! I let it simmer away for only about 5-10 minutes until this figgy jam was ready to be canned. I've been adding this stuff to just about everything, including our morning breakfast smoothies for a little extra sweetness.


If you're in the mood to make your own fig jam, here is the recipe I went off of. I added just a splash of lemon juice for good measure. Happy jamming!

No comments:

Post a Comment