Monday, August 8, 2011

Easy-Peasy-Dala-Horsey Apron

I finally finished the tutorial I promised last week. It is seriously easy. The hardest part of this tutorial was trying to get the pattern figured out. Tricky stuff for a girl like me. But with the help of the friendly blogging world and deciding to just upload it to flickr, I finally figured it out!

So without further adieu, here it is!



You will need:
1/2 yard of Dala fabric (Carina's is super-duper-adorable)
Bias tape - 1/2" and 1/4" double-folded (1 package of each will do)
Pattern pieces here, printed and put together
Sewing machine/thread/scissors

Ok! Let's get started!

First, print out the linked pattern, assemble and cut. Pin the pattern and cut out your fabric.

Next, pin your 1/4" bias tape around the bottom and sides of the apron. You don't need to cut an exact amount of the bias tape. Just pin around and trim off any excess. Then, sew. Carefully. I'm usually a cheater when it comes to pinning things, but this part is actually crucial that you pin and sew it well. Take your time. You can use the 1/2" bias tape for this part too if you think it'll be easier.



Make sure when you're sewing that you're catching the three layers: front of the bias, fabric, back of the bias. The fabric easily slips out if you don't pin it well.

Lastly, [yes, it's this fast!] pin your 1/2" bias tape centered on your apron and across the top. Sew, sew, sew! Start at one end of the bias tape and sew shut along the entire edge, catching the apron section on your way to the other end.

Bake something Swedish. Think about Dalas. Enjoy.

And if you haven't yet, join in the Dala Craftalong!

3 comments:

  1. Yaaaaaay! I am sooo happy you were able to figure out how to share your pattern! Now I can get started on Dala tea aprons for me and Diane!

    Very sweet design. And you are right, easy peazy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous apron! I'm half Norwegian and my husband is half Icelandic... which makes my daughter crazy for anything Scandinavian... including her boyfriend who is Swedish! This will be a great Christmas gift for her!

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your crafts!!!! I was wondering if you would be willing to submit some of them to my blog aboout world crafts!

    The blog address is http://culturecottage.blogspot.com/

    and I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete